I had been thinking of that for a while now and today I finally did it.
I think it would be pretty cool to try to combine it with Leap Motion.
Though I still have to acquire the last one.
Anyway, can’t wait to try messing around with it.
I started writing a small game engine, basically a state machine with an abstraction layer to SDL.
It’s been a while since I’ve actually done anything object oriented with c++, so I did run into a few probably stupid mistakes.
Also found out that calling c_str every frame is not a good idea. Sending a const char* instead of a string and converting that one is a better idea.
I was doing some testing with sending a function to a graphical class which in turn changes the caption of the screen. To see if I could get access to it like that. It was pretty succesful if I say so myself.
And after a bit of messing around (findng out I had to compile LUA first tp a library), I managed to embed it into c++.
And a little bit later I managed to actually start the script.
Eventually I mannaged to call C++ functions from within the LUA script.
For some reason the LUA script only executes when I run the exe and not when I run it from Visual C++.
Today I finished those last 6 SDL tutorials on LazyFoo. Including the one about OpenGL, which I wasn’t immediately planning on doing.
So today there was
Pixel Manipulation and Surface flipping.
Frame Independent Movement. Which was kind of a repeat of stuff I learned before.
Multithreading, Semaphores, Mutexes and Condition. That was mostly new.
And finally the SDL with OpenGL tutorial.
Next time I do more tutorials on LazyFoo, it will the the OpenGL tutorial series. Which will hopefully go better than Nehe’s tutorials.
But first, I think I’ll actually try making a game.
I’ve got plenty of ideas. (Though many of them could be done in 2D, but would be in 3D. But unfortunaly, I’m just a single person and not a tripple-A developer with lots of money and a whole team. So voice actors and actual artists for any ideas will always be a bit out of my range.)
We’ll see what I can come up with.
And how I will improve.
Thanks to the tutorials, I successfully added some items and textures.
Our theme was captivity and our element was umbrella, so we were going to make a platformer that involved using an umbrella to glide and water puzzles and stuff.
Had a lot of fun working on the tile map editor.
In the end we were too tired to continue.
…For some reason I now feel like working more though…
My exams finished last week or so. Here’s hoping they went well.
I found out about the indiespeedrun around the same time and decided to enter with a friend around the holidays.
So now I’ve been a bit busy learning to use Unity and some Blender.
So far, I managed to have a model import with animations (Which I made) from Blender.
Did some first person stuff where you pick up boxes and space invaders from a tutorial.
Then after some experimentation, I managed to get my model of a lever to switch on and off (Yes, the animations work) with player interaction (And scripts, it’s kind of like activating a lever in minecraft) and have another GameObject take input from it using an interface I called ILogic.
So now I’ve got a red block turning green when the lever gets switched on and back to red when the lever gets switched off.
I’m planning to change the picking up and dropping of boxes mechanic (which I got from a tutorial) to use the same Interactive class the lever uses to switch on and off.
Even though I’m just messing around, this is kind of giving me a certain sense of accomplishment.
Now if only I could figure out how to get nice looking procedural ropes/cables/pipes.
Oh, and I need to make another slight change to the Interactive system to find the Interactive component.
Right now I check for the parent of the object because that was neccessary for the lever, but for other objects that might be different and they might not have a parent, so I should check the object itself first and only check the parent afterwards. If there is one and the object itself didn’t have an Interactive component.
Tiling and bitmap fonts were on the menu.
That’s the progress I made today.
Well, yesterday, because it’s already past midnight now.
Today I looked into Joysticks and window events.
And I did some experimenting with my xbox 360 controller. I’ll need to do some more to be able to use it, though.
I’ve only messed with the 5 Axes.
I’m gonna have to test the buttons too.